Saturday, February 28, 2009

Getting away

Well, I took a trip quite awhile ago to a little town called Taos, and I thought I'd post some pictures. This was sort of a solitary getaway, so I am absent in all photos. I know how boring it can be looking at landscapes, and other postcard acceptable shots, but nonetheless, I would like to give everyone a small piece of life in the mountainous region of New Mexico (who knew? isn't NM supposed to be all sand and cacti?)






On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again...










The beautiful little avenue of shops in downtown Taos. I was in awe of the greenery and gorgeous landscapes. The drive in takes you past a huge lake and through a long, winding canyon full of gorgeous aspens that were at the peak of their fall hues when I was passing through. Such an unexpected and most welcome treat.




Here it is, my salute to you, Napoleon. Sadly, I did not stay here. Maybe someday.











Some of the locals at the farmer's market providing some sweet beats to accompany the delectable offerings. I bought my first heirloom tomatoes, so unattractive, but so delicious.







Notice the broomstick-like skirt, a staple in this hippie town. Anyone who stays for more than a couple days succombs to the birkenstocks and long, flowing ensembles. This being the number one reason Taos will not be my permanent residence.


















I really felt right at home, with friendly people everywhere I went, and much to explore, it was a great place to realign my chi and get out of Colorado for a bit. I am going to start taking mini-excursions like this more regularly. Taos is only a 5 hour drive from a place I've lived for almost 25 years. It's crazy I haven't been before. It's time to see the world, baby. From Taos to Switzerland, I'm going to see it all. Any suggestions for the next roadtrip?

3 comments:

Mollie said...

Vegas!!

Taos looks beautiful. Maybe I'll go there someday.

Jenn said...

You know, New Mexico is known as the "Land of Enchantment." If you're wanting to be "Enchanted" again, you must visit Santa Fe. The drive through the Sandia Mountains is beautiful. A little detour through Area 51 always makes the drive more interesting, too. You will love the local fare - I must recommend "Tomasita's" - by far the best Sopapillas and "New" Mexican food there is to be had. You must also visit the renowned Lorretto Catholic chapel. It's known for it's spiral staircase - having no center support. You might also visit the Santa Fe National Cemetery for veterans. If you're a bit further south, you might even head to Roswell and meet the many who've had close encounters of the third kind. If you head a bit further south, you can always explore the bat caves of Carlsbad. And, if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, Cline's Corners (www.clinescorners.com) will be to your rescue. That's enough tooting of New Mexico's horn for now. But, what else can be said for a state with a town named after the game show "Truth of Consequences?"

Chadlee said...

Very cute post, it made me laugh. And happy that you had a fun little getaway. I'd love to escape on my own one weekend, and get away from it all. But I don't think the kids can feed themselves.